Gaining credentials to Warped Tour is one thing, but shooting all day is a whole other. It’s like shooting a typical show, but ALL DAY LONG. It’s hot, crowded, and long. There are definite pros and definite cons. Either way, it’s best to be prepared.
1) You have to start somewhere”¦but”¦I’m not sure a huge venue/tour such as the Warped Tour is the place to start. It’s DEFINITELY a great idea to test out both your camera and your skills at local shows before you gain mainstream coverage.
2) An SLR does not equate photographer”¦Anyone can buy a fancy camera, but what’s the purpose if you only shoot automatic and can’t figure out simple settings such as ISO or white balance? No matter how much a camera costs, it will never be as perfect as a skilled and educated photographer. And it shows!
3) Know your CAMERA”¦I shouldn’t have to say that, but while standing in the photo pit at Warped there were several girls who had no idea what they were doing. One had a Sidekick (old school smart phone) as her camera. Another had a brand new Sony dSLR, but had no idea how to use it. As the photographers waited she asked me if I knew how to fix an issue. Sure, I did, but why did’t she? A camera’s manual, the internet, and experience are your best friends. Utilize.
4) BE COURTEOUS”¦Being in the photo pit is a privilege. Most people behind the barricade are there with a purpose and on an assignment. It’s rude when a) you hog the prime center spot the entire three songs b) you are using your phone as a camera c) you walk in front of shots d) you stop taking photos and simply hang where the other photographers are shooting and e) IF YOU DON’T HAVE AN DSLR OR SOMETHING EQUIVALENT, it’s not really the place for you.
5) The awesome thing about Warped Tour”¦is that’s it’s outside and you can rely on natural lighting. As long as you are aware of how to operate your camera, you don’t necessarily need a lot of fancy equipment. You could probably shoot with simply a kit lens and still walk away with good shots.
6) Pay attention to the crowd. Awesome shots are lurking there.
Chances are if you follow your instincts shooting Warped Tour should be a breeze.